Community Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post
geddyupgo  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2019 6:45:41 PM(UTC)
geddyupgo

Hi! New to this forum and somewhat new to traveling long distances. I have an African safari on my bucket list (I'm 75 and want to see some of the big 5 before one or all of us extinct). I realize that there is no guarantee to seeing animals but need your input as to the best time of the year to maximize the possibility of seeing elephants giraffes, rhinos etc. I don't want to melt in the heat but would prefer not to freeze to death in the early morning either. I thought between mid May - end of August but need your guidance.

At 75 I'm in fairly good health but would prefer an" easy " safari. No problem traveling on rough roads (hope they make some "pit" stops for us seniors) but I'm not climbing through the bush looking for chimps or ambling for a mile looking for wildlife either. I'll have to figure out how to survive that long flight from the NYC area to Africa. I'll trying to find a "roomie" to avoid the solo fee but the fee is not necessarily a game stopper. Prefer to do "eco friendly" travel - proceeds going to the indigenous population and to help wildlife with at least one overnight stay in a tented camp and a visit to a local village. And I'd like a company that will handle both flight and land arrangements. Obviously Gate 1 has been highly recommended but if they don't handle all the requests I have does anyone else have recommendations? And please let me know about the weather and time to travel. I'm willing to bet the 2020 trips are filling up fast for the prime time season. Thanks for your input and help.

geddyupgo

Ared  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 6:16:29 PM(UTC)
Ared

We did 16 day South Africa, Victoria Falls & Botswana in October 2019. Very pleasant weather generally, great group, awesome tour director Ahmet.

Weather--good medium point, but morning game drives are chilly and windy. Wear layers for your comfort level.

Eco--i don't have real info here. Gate 1 has a Foundation which funded a permanent bathroom for the Safari Primary School. We visited and delivered school supplies we brought individually. The kids were so eager. Did the same on our Mexico trip.

I brought old clothes and jewelry and some resale items--which I left behind. The people (vendors, servers, etc) were very appreciative, I was happy and had suitcase space to bring home souvenirs.

Travel arrangements--Gate 1 can do it all or you can make your own. For long, complicated trips I leave it to them in case there's any hiccup along the way.

I recommend you follow the Facebook Gate 1 Travel Group. Very active, full of information from helpful people. You'll get responses within an hour!
Alice