Community Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post
DannyW  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 10, 2017 10:45:16 PM(UTC)
DannyW

My wife and I just got back from this trip and it was great! I had read so many bad reviews for Gate1 but we had no problems at all (except the last leg of the flight back was delayed but that was not Gate1's fault). Booking through their service saved us roughly $1000 each over booking independently, so I was somewhat worried that I would be giving up something for the savings. There was one flight change early on but it was not a problem. The only "problem" if you want to call it that was the sore feet from walking all day on cobblestones (I never knew it would be so hard on the feet); I would therefore recommend that anybody thinging about these cities (especially Prague) take the most comfortable walking shoes they can find.

The hotels were better than expected (all were air conditioned and provided breakfast). They were all located close to the wonderful public transit in all of the cities, so getting to the sights was never an issue.

We did take 2 day trips (not through the agency), one from Vienna to Salzburg (guided) and one from Prague to Cesky Krumlov on the train (independent). Both were worthy destinations but we will plan more time in Cesky Krumlov next time (the train takes 3.5 hours each way and the train station is about a 20 minute walk from town).
We spent 3 days in each destination city, and each one has more than enough to keep you busy for the entire 9 days. Next time we will probably book a single destination with more time to explore.

littlera  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 10, 2017 11:06:21 PM(UTC)
littlera

Sounds like you had a great experience! Congrats.

Gate 1 almost always does a great job on guided tours, and with the independent tours also IF you are an experienced traveler, and invest in your own trip from a planning standpoint. Lots of online complaints are centered around independent tours, but from my observation it is usually due to bad planning and execution by the traveler.
Randy and Deanie
Up next:
14 Day Treasures of Sri Lanka. 3/21
14 day Classic South Africa with Victoria Falls 11/20
12 day Kaleidiscope of Scotland 7/20; rebooked 7/21
Been there, done that:
11 day Classic Colombia 3/20
14 day Majestic Balkans 5/19
16 Day Spiritual Southern India 11/18
14 Day Holland. Germany,Luxembourg & Belgium with Paris. 5/18
15 Day Indonesia: Java & Bali 10/17
13 Day Classic Costa Rica with Tortuguero and Manuel Antonio 2/17