Community Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post
Mary F  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Mary F

I am wondering what experiences Gate 1 travelers have had with the taking/ receiving of group photos. I am very disappointed that on our recent trip to Peru our tour manager had us all pose for a photo at Machu Picchu and had a colleague of his take the picture. He promised to email it to each of us, yet it hasn't happened. With a large group of 34, it would have been a problem for us to use our own cameras-- it would have taken forever!
With a similar large group in Spain, our manager posed us and took the time to take a photo of the group using several cameras. We were in a less crowded site, though, so it was possible to do. In Turkey, the leader never set it up. We were fortunate that we had a small group in Ecuador, and our manager had someone from the hotel take our photo all together.
It would be great if Gate 1 could standardize this process, so that we could have a keepsake of our fellow travelers. Since they have all of our email addresses, it seems like it would be pretty easy to do of the manager sends the office the photo.
I'd love to hear your ideas and experiences.
Mary 
15-day Kaleidoscope of Spain
Sept 2013
13-day Turkish Treasures, Sept 2014
17-day Ecuador and Peru, Aug 2015
18-day Kaleidoscope of South Africa, Sept 2016
Italy and Sicily, April 2017
Israel and Jordan, October 2017
Annual spring trip to Akumal, Mexico
littlera  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
littlera

Mary,  we have experienced a mixed bag with group photos also.  In the first dozen tours, I think we were only given one "official" photo that the guide arranged - don't remember which tour it was at this point.

We have had "unofficial" photos taken with various people's cameras (most recently in Guatemala) with promises of receiving by email, but so far no show.

I was told a couple of weeks ago in India that Gate 1 no longer collects lists of emails to give to the group because of privacy issues.  Email addresses are only collected unofficially by those who want to communicate.

We DID receive an official group photo arranged by the guide in India last week.  He hired a pro photographer at the Taj Mahal and took the photo.  Copies were made, and one was presented to each couple or solo traveler.  In addition, we were each (again couple or solo traveler) presented with a marble frame that fits the 8 x 10 photo with 66 hand cut and inlaid semi-precious stones.  We saw this inlay process at a stop earlier.  It is very labor intensive, and I would guess each frame took at least 30 man hours to make, if not more.  Pretty nice memento!
Randy and Deanie
Up next:
14 Day Treasures of Sri Lanka. 3/21
14 day Classic South Africa with Victoria Falls 11/20
12 day Kaleidiscope of Scotland 7/20
11 day Classic Colombia 3/20
Been there, done that:
14 day Majestic Balkans 5/19
16 Day Spiritual Southern India 11/18
14 Day Holland. Germany,Luxembourg & Belgium with Paris. 5/18
15 Day Indonesia: Java & Bali 10/17
13 Day Classic Costa Rica with Tortuguero and Manuel Antonio 2/17
18 Day Nepal & Bhutan 9/16
13 Day Kasbahs and Deserts of Morocco 5/16
15 Day Classic India with Ranthambore 11/15
11 Day Classic Baltics 6/15
11 Day Kaleidoscope of Guatemala and Honduras 1/15
13 Day Kaleidoscope of Ireland 9/14
14 Day Israel and Jordan - 5/14
15 Day Kaleidoscope of Thailand with River Kwai 11/13
16 Day China with Tibet and 3 Day Yangtze River Cruise  5/13
8 Day Classic Ecuador and Amazon Adventure 10/12
13 Day Turkish Treasures 5/12
10 Day Affordable  Peru  10/11
16 Day Affordable Bangkok, Cambodia and Vietnam 10/10
15 Day India's Majesty with Nepal  10/08
10 Day Greece with cruise 3/04
gotta travel  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
gotta travel

Don't recall we ever had a group picture taken on any of our tours, but then again, I could have just missed it.  Certainly no taking up of the email addresses.
Mary F  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Mary F

Thanks for your responses. We wrote our info on a list, not through the official Gate 1 office, for the Peru photo. I guess I will just have to be sure that I get some of my own shots of the group next time.
Randy, what a great keepsake of your India tour! If I knew we could get a group photo of each trip, I would find a frame while shopping around in each country. As it is, I have made a photo book every time, and it's fun to reminisce as we look through them. It also saves our friends from a tedious slide show!
Mary 
15-day Kaleidoscope of Spain
Sept 2013
13-day Turkish Treasures, Sept 2014
17-day Ecuador and Peru, Aug 2015
18-day Kaleidoscope of South Africa, Sept 2016
Italy and Sicily, April 2017
Israel and Jordan, October 2017
Annual spring trip to Akumal, Mexico
LuvToTravel World  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 11:33:03 AM(UTC)
LuvToTravel World

I haven't seen much in the way of group photo either
Sharon ~ Florida, USA
LuvToTravelWorld
http://www.flickr.com/photos/luvtotravelworld/

https://youpic.com/LuvToTravelWorld

next:  Tanzania 6/16,China 10/16, Vietnam 3/17
Done: 
10 day Mexico, 12/15
11 day Guatemala/Honduras 1/2015 
14 day Greece 9/2014 
7 day Dubai 2013 11/2013
15 day Thailand, Angkor Wat, Cambodia 11/2013
11 day Ecuador and Amazon 5/2013
10 day Costa Rica w/ Tortuguero, 11/2009, & 2/2013
10 day Affordable Peru, 5/2012
15 day France, 9/2012
15 day Turkey , 9/2011 
15 day Egypt/Nile Cruise, 2/2009
Globus trips..... Scotland Highlands, Norway, U.K., Ireland, Alpine Countries, Italia, Spain, Morocco, Portugal
 Independently toured South America- Chile, Argentina, Iquazu
Admin  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 7:53:24 PM(UTC)
Admin

Mary - if you could please provide your information to us in a private message we can see if our Customer Service department can track down the photo of the group for you. Or you can send an email directly to feedback@gate1travel.com and someone will be in touch. Be sure to mention your booking number and email that you're Gate 1 account is under.

Best Regards,

Gate 1 Travel

Gate 1 Travel
More of the World for Less!
Maryf  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2015 2:48:03 AM(UTC)
Maryf

Thanks, Admin, I did that. Although our tour manager had us list our email addresses so we could each get a digital copy, when he was contacted by Gate 1 told them it was an outside contractor and he had no contact info. We were posed together as a group, but never given the opportunity to buy the photos nor to use our own cameras to capture the shot. Some guys did try to sell us individual photos as we boarded our bus leaving Cusco the next day.
Lesson learned-- in the future I will be sure to get my own photos of the group.
RosemaryNJ  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 4, 2016 3:01:35 PM(UTC)
RosemaryNJ

India and Nepal was our fourth Gate 1 Tour. As Randy mentioned we also received a group photo taken in front of the Taj Mahal and then placed in a frame labeled Incredible India with stones inlayed. This is the only trip we actually received a framed photo arranged by the guide. We also received a list of all emails of the members of the trip. On our trip to South America with Easter Island group photos were taken by the guide using each of our cameras so we would have one. We did not have a group photo taken on either our Guatemala or Vietnam and Cambodia trip. Not sure if each country instructs guides about these photos or if it is the initiative of the guide. Looks like India does the best job on this!!

aresgow@hotmail.com  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 5:17:06 AM(UTC)
aresgow@hotmail.com

Intersting... India and Nepal was the only trip that I received a professional group photo and picture frame with the stones. I wonder why only the India trip?