Community Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post
Christie  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Christie

Hi, my name is Christie and my husband, Emil, and I have just booked the above, along with my cousin and her husband (Jackie & Randy). We are in Florida, they are in Texas. We are all "young" retirees (early 60's) and this is our first time to go to Turkey, as well as our first tour with Gate 1. We'd love to "meet up" on this forum with anyone else doing this tour, especially anyone who has been to Turkey and/or traveled with Gate 1. Hoping to form some relationships, share info, questions, etc., prior to actually meeting everyone in Istanbul next spring. We did something like this prior to our last cruise and it was such fun. Made many friends that we are still in touch with.

Hoping to hear from someone...anyone?? :)dec741d6-387e-41f9-9f50-468ca124d8ad.jpg
Christie Z.
littlera  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
littlera

Sign up for "My Travel Mates" for your exact date on Gate 1's Facebook page.  This is the most likely place to connect with your fellow travelers.

Did this tour last year - really enjoyed it!
Randy and Deanie
Up next:
14 Day Treasures of Sri Lanka. 3/21
14 day Classic South Africa with Victoria Falls 11/20
12 day Kaleidiscope of Scotland 7/20
11 day Classic Colombia 3/20
Been there, done that:
14 day Majestic Balkans 5/19
16 Day Spiritual Southern India 11/18
14 Day Holland. Germany,Luxembourg & Belgium with Paris. 5/18
15 Day Indonesia: Java & Bali 10/17
13 Day Classic Costa Rica with Tortuguero and Manuel Antonio 2/17
18 Day Nepal & Bhutan 9/16
13 Day Kasbahs and Deserts of Morocco 5/16
15 Day Classic India with Ranthambore 11/15
11 Day Classic Baltics 6/15
11 Day Kaleidoscope of Guatemala and Honduras 1/15
13 Day Kaleidoscope of Ireland 9/14
14 Day Israel and Jordan - 5/14
15 Day Kaleidoscope of Thailand with River Kwai 11/13
16 Day China with Tibet and 3 Day Yangtze River Cruise  5/13
8 Day Classic Ecuador and Amazon Adventure 10/12
13 Day Turkish Treasures 5/12
10 Day Affordable  Peru  10/11
16 Day Affordable Bangkok, Cambodia and Vietnam 10/10
15 Day India's Majesty with Nepal  10/08
10 Day Greece with cruise 3/04
Christie  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Christie

Deanie: Thanks for the reply. Sadly, the Travel Mates pages don't work on a mobile device, and since I live by my iPad, it wouldn't be very convenient for me. I think I'll try my luck on here. That said, do you have any suggestions, hints, do's or don'ts that you would care to share about the Turkey tour? We have traveled to South America many times, but this will be our first trip to this part of the world. Many thanks for any thoughts.

Christie
Christie Z.
littlera  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
littlera

Actually, it's Randy this time - I  do most of the travel postings in my house!

I have some advice, mostly culled from earlier postings on Turkey:

credit card issues:

Turkey is KNOWN for credit card scams, including rigged ATM's.  Check the slot before you put the card in, making sure there is no plastic sleeve inserted by crooks to trap your card.   You can search the internet for more info on this scam.  We were careful, and did not find a rigged machine.

Our major problem came had to do with the phrase "valid for use in Turkey."  Most all USA banks automatically block their cards for use in Turkey because of the aforementioned problems.  We dutifully notified each bank of the cards we were planning to use before we left (ALWAYS do this.)  Upon arrival in Istanbul NONE of our cards would work!  I had to AGAIN call each bank to ask that they be unblocked.  They all did so, with no further problem.  I have no idea why they all thought we were kidding about going to Turkey and wanting to use our cards.

I would suggest that you only make the more major purchases from reputable, ralatively large concerns using your card.  Smaller purchases are more safely done with cash you get from the ATM. 

The neat trick I used to call the banks in the USA from Turkey was to use my Skype phone account to make the phone calls.  The 45 minutes or so I used cost about 2.6 cents perminute, for a total of about $1.  Definitely the best
way to call home if you have a laptop or internet capable tablet!

Internet:

Regardless of what the brochure says, all of the hotels we used (I think they are still the same) had free wifi.  Some routers were weak, so we had to use our computer in or around the lobby in some hotels.

Shopping:

When it comes to shopping, Turkey has a lot to offer.  The first obvious attraction is the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul.  The Gate 1 hotel we used was within walking distance, and we went with the group and again by ourselves during free times near the start and end of the tour.   You can find about anything Turkey has to offer there in one mammoth maze of shops.

As to what to buy in Turkey, the first thing that comes to mind for most people is rugs.  Turkey produces some of the finest in the world, if not the finest.  There is a couple of good shops in the Grand Bazaar.  One is near the entrance closest to the tram tracks outside.  Sorry, can't remember the entrance number.  There are about a dozen entrances.  

If you go on the "Full Day Capadoccia" option on your tour, you will be taken to a good rug shop in the Capadoccia area.  I think everyone on our tour took this option, as it is a highlight, and is all day.  You would have to try to see Capadoccia on your own if you did not take it.  The manager of this store is from New Jersey if I remember correctly!  They demonstrate the rug making process, and then roll out about 100 rugs to dazzle you with.  Probably 5 or 6 couples in our tour bought rugs, averaging maybe  $1000 each.  Rugs can be had from $100 to 6 figures!  We did not get one, as we had recently acquired what we needed in Morocco, another good place to get good rugs.  If you think you may want to buy rugs, measure your area or areas before you leave home, and note colors that you may want.  It would even be a good idea to come with good color photos of your rooms or paint chips!

You must bargain HARD with the rug sellers.   Expect discounts of up to 50% from what they originally ask, if our group experience was typical.  Small, expensive rugs of silk, maybe 2'x3' are good for framing and hanging on the wall.  Expect this size to average $1000 out the door.  Big rugs will be shipped to your home at typically no charge.

Leather is a popular item to buy in Turkey.  Plenty of it is available in the Grand Bazaar, and stores in Izmir are good too.  On a Gate 1 arranged custom cruise tour a few years ago. we saw some great shops near the cruise docks in the Kusadasi area.  They have a super rug store there, too.

Optional tours:

Pretty much take them all in Turkey.  We did not do the Ephesus tour, as we had been there before.  We did not do the Whirling Dervishes, but feedback was very positive.  Did not do the balloon tour in Capadoccia, as I did not want to get up that early and it's very expensive.  Feedback is very positive on these forums for this ride, but in our group I sensed not everyone really loved it.  Not sure why.

Safety:

You will be fine if you use the same common sense you used in your South America tours.

Have a good trip.
Randy and Deanie
Up next:
Been there, done that:
Christie  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Christie

Hi, Randy - my bad for assuming it was Deanie who had replied. Guess the photo of her (?) led me to that, plus the fact that at my house, the male occupant doesn't go near a computer unless I'm showing him the latest photo or video from the grandkids. :) Anyway, MANY thanks for all the great info. Some of it I had already seen in browsing through these forums and some of it is new to me. All of it is very much appreciated. I may have other questions as we get closer, if you don't mind occasional "brain picking?"

If you think of anything else at any point, please feel free to post another reply. Thanks again!

Christie
Christie Z.
Christie  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Christie

Just checking in to see if anyone out there is planning on this trip besides us?  I did sign up on the FB page, but was the only one on there, too.  Hmmm...this may be a very intimate tour!  :)

Just beginning to do serious reading about our stops, the hotels, sights, etc.  I'm still eager to hear from anyone else either going, or who has recently gone who would like to share do's & don'ts.  Thanks!  Or should I say, "tesekkürler?"  :)  :)
Christie Z.
Sueb  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 3, 2013 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Sueb

We were in Turkey in Sept. It is a beautiful country and wonderful people. We took all the optional tours except the balloon ride. We do not recommend the Whirling Dervishes. It wasn't that good.  It is a great tour!
gotta travel  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
gotta travel

Ah Sueb,  glad you had a great trip, but the Dervishes?  They're mesmerizing (or perhaps puts you into a semi-concious state).  As our guide said, he'll wake us when it's over. Seriously though I did enjoy it for some odd reason i can't explain.  Maybe knowing I'd never seen another 'whirl' again.
gotta travel  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 4, 2013 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
gotta travel

Christie Z.   we took this one in March of this year (looks like there's a different batch of hotels so can't comment on that).  Weather wise though - prepare for a mix bag.  Istanbul was cold and rainy (carry an umbrella, hat and layer on clothes).   Had a group from Panama on our tour who were a little miserable for the first two days.  Street vendors sell umbrellas for 5 TL everywhere if you forget yours.  We buy the cheap WalMart minis and use and leave them (they typically only last one trip anyway).  Cappadocia - snowed on us so carry some gloves.  Ephesus was warm as was Pergamum and Konya (relatively speaking).  Last day in Istanbul (Bosporus cruise) - windy and cold.  

As noted, do all the optional tours.  Bazaar and Spice Market - you spend about an hour and half free time in each which is plenty in our estimation (unless you like shoulder to shoulder crowds).  After about a half hour, the stalls all look the same.  

Pamukkale - lunch onsite and terrible (pizza especially was bad).  Try the ice-cream it's definitely an acquired taste.  One thing we didn't do but should have - foot cleaning by a bunch of little fish things.  

Final tip:  make sure you a crisp $20 bills for your visa (tucked on a blank page). 

Enjoy the planning.  It's a great tour.
Christie  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 3, 2013 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Christie

Thank you both, Sueb and Gotta Travel.  I appreciate the feedback.  I had heard about the visa fee - we will be prepared.  Great tips about the weather, thanks.  Hubs and I are spoiled - we live in SW Florida where it seldom gets colder than 50, but our travel buddies are from Texas (as we are originally) so we all know how to be prepared for extreme changes. :)

We are currently signed up for all optional tours except the dervishes and the balloon.  I don't think I can bring myself to do the balloon, plus the cost is a little off putting.  I have heard mixed reviews on the dervishes.  Guess we can always add closer or departure time.

Again, thanks for the feedback!  Much appreciated!
Christie Z.
Scott  
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2013 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Scott

My wife and I are doing this trip in February, can't wait!  Thanks for starting this topic and for all the information, it really is helpful.

I'm not sure if you know this but you can purchase your Turkey visa online at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/.  I've read that getting the visa online will make your entry into the country a lot faster (one less line to wait in at the airport). 

My group of family and friends that I am traveling with have all got their visas this way and we have the print outs in our passports ready to go!!
Christie  
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2013 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Christie

Thanks for the info on the visa, Scott!  I will look into that.  I'd also love to hear your reflections on the tour once you get back.  Did you guys try getting in touch with fellow travelers on the Facebook Gate 1 Travelmates page?  I'm still trying to find others who are taking this tour - so far, no one. :(
Christie Z.
Scott  
#13 Posted : Sunday, December 22, 2013 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Scott

Ok, I'll post some feedback in this forum about the trip upon my arrival.

I did try to connect with my fellow travel buddies on Facebook but no one has visited the page.  I think I set it up back in July (I booked the trip on June 1) and haven't had any visitors since then.
LuvToTravelWorld  
#14 Posted : Monday, December 23, 2013 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
LuvToTravelWorld

no but I've done this trip or one similar and I loved it!
Sharon ~ Florida, USA
LuvToTravelWorld
https://youpic.com/LuvToTravelWorld

Next: Vietnam&Cambodia 2017, Russian Cruise 8/17, Baltics 8/2017
Done (and rated): 
17 day Discovery China&Tibet 10/16 3 1/2*
Ethiopia, on own, & 10 day Tanzania 6/16 5*

10 day Copper Canyon and Mexico 12/15, 3 1/2*
11 day Guatemala/Honduras 1/2015, 4*
14 day Greece 9/2014, 3* 
7 day Dubai 2013 11/2013, 4* with
15 day Thailand, Angkor Wat, Cambodia 11/2013, 5*
11 day Ecuador and Amazon 5/2013, 4*
10 day Costa Rica w/ Tortuguero, 11/2009, 4*, & 2/2013, 3*
10 day Affordable Peru, 5/2012, 5*
15 day France, 9/2012, 3 1/2*
15 day Turkey , 9/2011, 5* 
15 day Egypt/Nile Cruise, 2/2009, 4*
Globus trips..... Scotland Highlands, Norway, U.K., Ireland, Alpine Countries, Italia, Spain, Morocco, Portugal
 Independently toured South America- Chile, Argentina, Iquazu
Christie  
#15 Posted : Friday, February 7, 2014 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Christie

Still hoping to hook up with someone - ANYONE - doing the 13-day Affordable Turkey tour on March 20th...beginning to wonder if our foursome will be it...  :(
Christie Z.
AR  
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
AR

Hi!! My boyfriend and I (late 20s, from Madison, Wisconsin) will be on your trip. So sorry - you don't get to go by yourselves, haha. We are so excited! 34 days!

Being from WI, we aren't too concerned about colder weather, but I am concerned about how to pack and make sure we have the right stuff with us every day. I travel a lot for work and my typical strategy is to overpack, but I've never done the group bus-tour thing - does anyone know if we can leave extra things on the bus during the day, and if so, would they be secure?

As far as the optional trips, we have booked a few (Bosphorus cruise, balloon ride, dervishes, and I think one other I'm forgetting...) for some of the others, I was wondering how easy it would be to do the sites ourselves. For example, we're not doing the full-day Cappadoccia after the balloon ride, but how hard would it be to hike around and see things ourselves (or rent some form of transportation?). We also haven't booked the optional Ephesus (yet- I still might) but could we do it ourselves if we took a cab or rented a car?

Like I said, we haven't travelled with a group before, so I don't know about trying to stay with a big tour group. The ease of transportation around the country, and not having to plan hotels, etc, is great, but I'd rather see some of the sights on our own timelines in case we find them more or less interesting than others. I've also heard that seeing things at different times of day (typically early) helps you avoid crowds, but maybe that's not as big of a concern at the end of March as it would be in summer months.

I've been following the Lira currency ups and downs (mostly downs) and was wondering the best way to exchange money before travel - because it's a volatile currency, my bank (Chase) charges a big markup vs. the rate according to google.

Last question - I don't eat seafood. (I do eat chicken, pork, and beef.) Will this be a problem?

So - look forward to meeting those of you that will be on the trip. If anyone who has been before has thoughts or comments on my questions please let me know. Thanks!
littlera  
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
littlera

AR,

Maybe I can give some advice - you are welcome to use it or not.  I have done maybe two dozen group tours (including yours), and a lot on our own too, so I speak from experience with respect to both types of travel.

First - food:  I do not eat seafood either, or chicken for that matter (yes, it's weird), and I sure did no starve in Turkey.  Good food there - I liked the kebabs, and had them fairly often.  Lamb in kebabs and other forms is tasty.

Optionals:  I did not do the Ephesus option as we did that tour from a cruise ship a few years back.  Staying in Izmir during that day was a bit of a drag.  Not a lot to do there - one site with ruins in town are interesting.  You really should see Ephesus.  You will be spinning your wheels to try to do it on your own, and will spend much more money, as the site is a long distance from where you are staying.  Gate 1 will provide ample time at the site, with good interpretation, I will assure you.

It is pretty much the same story in Cappadocia.  It is a bit spread around, and you will have difficulty I think finding the best places to see (that Gate 1 will be taking everyone else too.)  I would not want to be driving in Turkey, anyway.  Again, better to go with the flow instead of just making it hard on yourselves.  The Gate 1 tour in this area was very good.  There are plenty of photo ops.

There will be no problems with crowds while you are there, so it is not an issue.  It never is in Turkey I think.

I sense you believe that the tour might cramp your style, and prevent you from seeing things you believe you can find on your own.  They will not, and you will find that you make lots of new friends, and will get to see the maximum amount of sights and have maximum experiences.   Gate 1 tourists are friendly, engaging, and energetic people that, like you, have a great interest in new places, people, and cultures.  I have done a lot on my own over the years, and I find I see much more with a group at lower cost and hassle than on our own.  Some people think bus groups are just "not cool."  Fine, I will be uncool and see the world with ease of mind and maximum efficiency, do it at lowest cost, and have a blast doing it.  I will also meet lots of new people with like interests.

On the subject of packing, DO NOT over pack!  I have learned this the hard way in over 40 years of traveling.  It is heavy, leaves no room for things you buy, and just makes travel harder.  We use a baggage scale, and try to minimize weight at all cost.  I even buy trial size shaving cream and shampoos, etc. to take a few ounces out.  This is necessary in many places.  Our most recent tour to Thailand had a 40 pound limit per suitcase.  There is overhead space in the bus, and it should be safe as the driver stays with the coach and locks it. I would still not leave money, computers, etc. on the bus.

For money, use ATM's with a debit card.  Use the one with the least charge back home.  Mine is 75 cents per transaction.  There may be a small fee at the ATM also, but as I remember it was nominal.  It is a hassle and expensive to get it at home usually.

Try to just go with the flow of the group as much as you can.  You WILL have a great time, I promise!  Nobody does it better than Gate 1 at ANY price.  I know this from experience, too.
Randy and Deanie
Up next:
Been there, done that:
Christie  
#18 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2014 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Christie

Hi, AR!  So happy to "meet" you and we look forward to getting to know you and the BF on this trip.  I think Randy (Deannie??) has answered most of your questions and concerns, and I would also recommend looking on the Fodors site and subscribing to the Turkey forum there, as we've gleaned a lot of great info from that site as well.  We are doing all the optional tours except the dervishes and the balloon ride.  We based our choices on comments from folks who've done this tour and personal preferences (I don't do heights very well). 

Randy/Deannie, I do have a question for you.  We are planning on taking an iPad for several reasons (as opposed to cell phones) but are wondering how accessible the internet actually is?  In looking at the info G1 provided on the hotels we're in, only two of them have free wifi, so I'm not sure if the others just don't have wifi, or if there is a fee, etc.  What has been your experience?  Again, thanks for all your great input/feedback!?,

AR, we will see you in just four short weeks!!  :)
Christie Z.
littlera  
#19 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2014 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
littlera

Christie,

I too travel with internet devices - two smartphones, a large Kindle Fire HD tablet, and my little netbook.  We use the smartphones for emergency use backup and occasionally log onto the internet with them where free wifi is available.  Most internet use is with the Kindle or netbook, and we phone home on Skype with these if necessary for about 2 -3 cents per minute  -  cheapest way I think.  We use free Skype to call kids back in the States.  The only reason I take the netbook (since we got the Kindle) is to download photos from camera daily.  I take the SD card out of the camera and plug into the netbook.  Was not happy with a WiFi SD card for the camera I tried in China last year, so went back to carrying the netbook for Thailand in Nov.  These darn tablets do not have SD card capability.

It is hard to give exact advice about internet access in Turkey, other than to say in 2012 we had free WiFi at EVERY Gate 1 hotel we stayed in.  At that time the info Gate 1 showed said there would be no internet or there would be a charge.  I have found, worldwide, that Gate 1's internet info in hotel descriptions is very often wrong and/or out of date.  Fortunately the error is in the traveler's favor, as I believe every one of the hotels we have been in on tour in the last three years or so has had free WiFi.

Our tour was a bit different than yours, as it was a summer tour, the 13 day Turkish Treasures.  We did stay in some hotels common to your tour, specifically the Mosaic in Istanbul (you MAY stay there); the Akol in Canakkale (you DO stay there), and the Peri Tower in Cappadocia (you MAY stay there.)  As I mentioned, all these had internet.

It is not unusual for the internet to only be available in the lobby.  At the Peri Tower, everyone else sat in the lobby, while I did it in the room because the wireless router was mounted above the door to our room!  Another example was the Meridien in Chang Mai in November, where there was free WiFi in the lobby, but a HUGE charge for it in the rooms.

Have a great tour, all you guys!  The Turkey tours are just fantastic.  I will take some solace in the fact we will be on the Eurodam in the Caribbean while you are there!  Got to get out of this cold.....

Randy Little
Randy and Deanie
Up next:
Been there, done that:
Christie  
#20 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2014 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Christie

Thanks, Randy - very helpful!  I thought of one more question, since you have a tablet, do you buy an international data plan when you travel?  Last year when we went to Ecuador, we did not, but it was because we were staying with family and had free wifi. :)  I guess we have not done enough traveling internationally (that doesn't involve staying with family) to be very educated about connectivity via the internet.  You mentioned using your netbook to download photos from your camera's SD card, but my husband's SD card is something like 10G, so not sure we need that capability?  I guess for back up, in case something happens to the camera, God forbid!  That will be something else I'll have to think about and discuss with the DH.

Also, I know we need converters for the 220V outlets in Turkey, and I'm guessing just enough to cover our appliances (flat iron for the hair, iPad, camera battery charger).  Any thoughts on that?

Sorry for all the badgering, but you are a wealth of helpful info!  Thanks so much!
Christie
Christie Z.
2 Pages12>