Community Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post
Annie FL-GA  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 5, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Annie FL-GA

Is there anyone in the forum that is registered for the 16 Day Classic Thailand w/ Phuket, departing on or near November 17, 2015? 
My husband and I are going and we are so excited! We are departing from LAX and making a trip of California before and after Thailand as well. I have been reading through all the old threads on this and similar tours for tips and ideas. I would love to meet some of the people that we will be spending these two (hopefully glorious!) weeks with :)
Looking for adventure!
Happy tourists  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Happy tourists

Hello!! 
Looks like my husband and I will be joining you!  I'm Jennifer and happy to connect with you prior to our tour!  We are from Toronto and are really looking forward to this adventure.  Have you booked any add on tours with Gate 1 ?  I am trying to incorporate a floating market tour in Bangkok but it's tricky seeing that they depart early morning and we would have to give up other tours in order to do this unless we decide on going to Taling Chan which isn't too far away.  
Hope we can exchange some ideas and tips to one another.
Regards
Annie FL-GA  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Annie FL-GA

Hi Jennifer! This will be our first tour with Gate1. Have you used them before? My sister booked an independent vacation through Gate1 and said everything was very smooth. 

I have also been reading up on the floating markets around Bangkok, but I hadn't considered looking into tours. I was looking into taking a bus/taxi/train to one so that we can do it at our leisure, but please let me know if you find a promising tour.

We have booked most of the optional tours, but left out one dinner, the elephant ride (I would rather bathe and feed them, than to ride) and one speedboat tour in Phuket. 

I have been looking for an elephant sanctuary in Chiang Mai that offers half-day visits. 

The thing I am most excited about on this trip is that we will be in Chiang Mai for Loy Krathong, which is our first night in the city. Much of the celebration of this holiday centers around the Ping River, which our hotel is about 4 blocks away from. There will be lanterns sent floating down the river and into the sky. That is the same night as the Kantoke dinner and I am hoping we will be able to do both. 

I have also been looking at taking an independent tour from Phuket over to Krabi for the hot springs :)
Looking for adventure!
littlera  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
littlera

You guys will have a wonderful time in Thailand.  We have been there twice with Gate 1, and these are some of their best tours.

If you have at least a 1/2 day free (we went into BKK three days early for our last tour.  Gate 1 can hook you up with extended stays in the tour hotel really cheap!)  I would suggest using Absolute Bangkok tours.  They have standard tours to the most popular sites, including the floating market with a long tail fast boat ride, or you can do what we did and arrange a full day tour to the exact sites you want to visit.  The tours are reasonably priced, conducted with a private guide in a luxury van.

With four of you the price of the tours per person is even less.  We had four, but picked up another couple the night before, making it even less.

Actually since we did the River Kwai version of the tour (did not go to Phuket) the floating market was included for us as it is on the way to River Kwai resort.  The market is fun and interesting.
Randy and Deanie
Up next:
14 Day Treasures of Sri Lanka. 3/21
14 day Classic South Africa with Victoria Falls 11/20
12 day Kaleidiscope of Scotland 7/20; rebooked 7/21
Been there, done that:
11 day Classic Colombia 3/20
14 day Majestic Balkans 5/19
16 Day Spiritual Southern India 11/18
14 Day Holland. Germany,Luxembourg & Belgium with Paris. 5/18
15 Day Indonesia: Java & Bali 10/17
13 Day Classic Costa Rica with Tortuguero and Manuel Antonio 2/17
18 Day Nepal & Bhutan 9/16
13 Day Kasbahs and Deserts of Morocco 5/16
15 Day Classic India with Ranthambore 11/15
11 Day Classic Baltics 6/15
11 Day Kaleidoscope of Guatemala and Honduras 1/15
13 Day Kaleidoscope of Ireland 9/14
14 Day Israel and Jordan - 5/14
15 Day Kaleidoscope of Thailand with River Kwai 11/13
16 Day China with Tibet and 3 Day Yangtze River Cruise  5/13
8 Day Classic Ecuador and Amazon Adventure 10/12
13 Day Turkish Treasures 5/12
10 Day Affordable  Peru  10/11
16 Day Affordable Bangkok, Cambodia and Vietnam 10/10
15 Day India's Majesty with Nepal  10/08
10 Day Greece with cruise 3/04
Annie FL-GA  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Annie FL-GA

Thank you for the input, Littlera! That is a great idea to pair up for the independent tours.
Looking for adventure!
littlera  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
littlera

Glad to help!  I just thought of one other thing - whatever you do, please do not miss going to Wat Arun (Temple of dawn) on the river.  Gate 1 does not take you there.  We used Absolute Bangkok to take us there as one of seven or eight stops we had them do for us.  It is an amazing site, and you can climb to the top for great views and photos.

Frankly, Gate 1 and many of the other tour companies do not do a very comprehensive job of touring you around Bangkok.  I think the logistics of getting the big bus around the crowded city is responsible.  In two days, they only take you to one or two minor sites along with the Palace tour which is an option (but a good one!)

Frankly, I would skip the whole day with the 1/2 day tour of BKK included with your tour, and book a REAL full day tour with Absolute Bangkok!  Do that, and you will thank me.
Randy and Deanie
Up next:
Been there, done that:
Annie FL-GA  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Annie FL-GA

I will look into that. I really appreciate it!
Looking for adventure!
Happy tourists  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Happy tourists

Wow! That's sounds really lovely and I had no idea about Loy Krathong but would love to walk to the river and experience it.  We have scheduled the Blue Elephant tour on day 10 instead of the optional elephant training camp tour.  The Blue elephant tour will give us some time to wash the elephants in the river and ride them bare back as well as spending some time with the Tigers.  This is our first tour/holiday with Gate 1 and we chose Thailand to celebrate our 30th anniversary.  I would absolutely love to be able to arrange a little  "vow renewal" at a Budhist Temple if possible.   We didn't book the Kantoke dinner and show and booked the full day in Phi Phi by speed boat as well as full day Phang Nga Bay and Lawa Island by cruiser.  We also opted out of the Siam Niramit show and dinner and the half day Mae Salong Hill Tribe and Kantoke dinner and show... for now.  I'm looking for a restaurant for dinner on the day of our arrival, but wonder if I should just take it as it comes.  I can make myself crazy with too much scheduling when sometimes it's just nicer to take it as it comes.  And packing, well that's another story....
Happy tourists  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Happy tourists

Thanks for all the great advice! Looks like I still have a lot to figure out.  I will look into the Absolute Bangkok Tours and see how I can incorporate a tour with them.
littlera  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
littlera

On the optional tours:  We went to the Siam Niramit show, and all in all, we thought it was a nice evening.  The show itself was a little bit of a letdown, just because it has such a big promo - twenty million spent, etc.  The show has little speaking, but what there is is in Thai.  If you don't know Thai history, it is difficult to follow.  I dozed off a couple of times (jetlag.)  The buffet at the show (I know, it is a buffet) was really, really good, surprisingly.  They have dozens and dozens of items to choose from, and it was all delicious.  There is a pre-show in the courtyard, which is pretty good.  There is a restored building area where buildings have been moved from the countryside into the grounds, and traditional crafts are on display being made.  Pretty interesting.  I recommend going.

We went to Tiger Kingdom in Chaing Mai, which was arranged by our guide.  We loved it.

I was embarrased that we had booked the Kantoke dinner show, just because it was cheap.  We forgot we booked it, and did not show up!  Since it was the "native dancing with buffet show" I assumed we did not book, because we as a rule never book that event.  We went to an excellent German restaurant with some other folks that did not go, and it was superb.  The feedback from those that went:  three high school girls with a boom box and a mediocre buffet meal.  I was actually glad we did not attend even though we paid for it!
Randy and Deanie
Up next:
Been there, done that:
littlera  
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
littlera

If you guys contact Absolute Bangkok, ask for Miss Pui.  She was an EXCELLENT guide. 

They are very responsive by email, and you can work out an itinerary.  Check out their standard tours online too.  I recommend the Jim Thompson house, the Teak House (former royal home, made of teak.)  and the aforementioned Wat Arun.  Wat Pho (if you skip the 1/2 day Gate 1 included tour), Wat Traimit (Temple of the Golden Buddha), floating market, and a long tail boat tour up the canals near Wat Arun where the houses are built over the water.  This one includes fish feeding.  You can work in maybe 7 or 8 sites for a day, but less if you go to the floating market which is a bit outside town.
Randy and Deanie
Up next:
Been there, done that:
Happy tourists  
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Happy tourists

Thanks for all the great info.  Do you really think that on the full day in Bangkok I should opt out of the Gate 1 morning tour of Temple of Emerald Buddha and Grand Palace and schedule a full day with Absolute Bangkok Tours instead?
littlera  
#13 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
littlera

No, not at all.  First look at your schedule.  You arrive BKK on day 1 - could be late - no touring today.  On day 2 there is the morning tour that basically only goes to Wat Pho (temple of reclining buddah.)  Day 3 is free, or you can opt for the Gate 1 morning tour of the Grand Palace and the Emerald Bhddah temple.  The Grand Palace and the Emerald Buddah temple are on the same grounds, and included in the same visit. The afternoon of day 3 is free.

Even if you do the Grand Palace / Temple of Emerald Buddah option with Gate 1, you still have all of day 2 and the afternoon of day 3 free IF you do not go to Wat Pho with Gate 1 on the morning of day 2.

My suggestion would be to not go on the day 2 drive with Gate 1 and instead book an independent tour with Absolute Bangkok for the whole day 2.  I would include Wat Pho in that tour.  You may even want to see only sites in Bangkok on day 2, and book another afternoon tour to the floating market with Absolute Bangkok the afternoon of day 3.  Do this, and you will visit about 9-10 sites vs. 2 with Gate 1 (even with options, Gate 1 really only takes you to Grand Palace and Wat Pho in two days - one site per day.)

You could have Absolute Bangkok take you to the Grand Palace instead of booking with Gate 1 - could be cheaper, and might make the logistics simpler and more time efficient.
Randy and Deanie
Up next:
Been there, done that:
Happy tourists  
#14 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Happy tourists

Perfect, I will definitely contact Absolute Bangkok Tours.  Thank you for all the information.  Did you find any restaurants that you can recommend?  Also, I want to try to pack very lightly, any suggestions?  Did you have any massages while you were there?  Did anyone in your group take a Thai cooking class?  How did you spend the day of your arrival to Bangkok?  Any suggestions and advise are greatly  appreciated!
Donna Marie  
#15 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Donna Marie

Randy, I don't know how you remember all these details!

On day 4 is the day you could sign up (even with your hotel, but check upon arrival) for the Floating Market. That is one thing I missed because the itinerary didn't accommodate.  Emerald Budha would be missed, but you are really going to be Buddha'd out!

Def do the elephant camp - a highlight!  But, sounds like you are doing the wash/bareback elephant ride place - too scary for me :-)  That's good though, at least you will be with elephants.

In Phuket, I signed up or both day tours - they are awesome!  Your hotel is near Patong so that is good.  Mine was last minute changed to the other side of the island (45 min drive) which was very annoying.  You are placed in a good location.  You will love your trip.  Do some Trip Advisor checking for restaurants, etc.  OH and almost forgot - my guide was Oh and she was awesome.  In Bangkok, you must go to the State Tower and up to the Sky Bar - incredible views and is on the list of Top 10 Hotel Rooftops (can't remember the name of the hotel, but it's also highlighted in one of the Hanover movies).  Incredible views.

Have fun!
Upcoming
15 Day Spain (9/2017)
Completed Thus far with Gate 1...
15 Day Vietnam and Cambodia
10 Day Serengeti and Beyond: African Safari in Tanzania
15 Day Moroccan Allure
14 Day Israel and Jordan
15 Day Croatia Bosnia Slovenia and Venice
15 Day Turkish Treasures
9 Day Affordable Ireland
17 Day Peru and Ecuador
16 Day Classic Thailand with Phuket
11 Day Egypt with Abu Simbel and 3 Day Lake Nasser Cruise
10 Day Greek Islander Mykonos Santorini Athens
12 Day Enchanting Italy
9 Day Israel
Happy tourists  
#16 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Happy tourists

Thanks Donna, which elephant camp did you go to? Did you need reservations for the roof top sky bar?
littlera  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
littlera

Donna, I don't remember much, I have to look it up.  The other day I momentarily forgot where we went on our last tour, and it was only six weeks ago!
Randy and Deanie
Up next:
Been there, done that:
littlera  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
littlera

Happy tourists,

Packing light should not be a problem.  Pack LIGHT clothing.  It will be in the low 90's in BKK, and very humid.  It was almost worse than NC in the summer!

We went into BKK three days early, and did many things.  We did a rice barge tour on the river (a little disappointing - only the last little bit was on a barge where we were given a snack plate of fruit.  The rest of the time was on long tail speed boats.)  We did a bike tour also.  Not for the faint of heart or those not good on bikes.  Some places we rode down alleys with store stalls were very narrow.  A few times were out in traffic.  My wife did not like it.   The best thing we did (and to answer your question) was a cooking school.  We chose the Chef LeeZ school.  This lady is highly educated, own restaurants, and is a good teacher.  The school was about three hours.  It is the #1 or #2 thing to do in all of BKK on TripAdvisor.  You can book on their web site.   I still get recipes from her at least once a month after almost two years.  And of course, one day was spent with the custom Absolute Bangkok tour.
Randy and Deanie
Up next:
Been there, done that:
Happy tourists  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Happy tourists

Hi Littlera
I contacted Absolute Bangkok Tours and unfortunately the Temple of Dawn is under renovation.  They suggested the Golden Buddha or white Marble Temple instead. What are your thoughts?
littlera  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
littlera

Too bad about the Temple of Dawn.  I was not aware it was down for renovation.

Both of the alternate sites are great.  Absolute Bangkok took us to the Golden Buddah.  It is the largest piece of gold I have ever seen.  It is spectacular.  It is MUCH more impressive than the Jade Buddah you will see at the Grand Palace.  That Buddah is only 26" high, and you see it from a distance.  Not that impressive compared to some other sites (and Buddahs for that matter) in Thailand.  We did not have time to go to the marble temple, but I have seen the photos and I would very much have liked to have had time to work it in when we were there.  Both of these sites would be good additions to your custom itinerary!
Randy and Deanie
Up next:
Been there, done that: