Community Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post
jano  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
jano

[justify]my friend Susan and I are going on the 13-day Turkish Treasures trip departing 19 May from San Francisco.  We are actually going a few days earlier to Istanbul.  Is anyone from the Bay Area on this trip?  It's our first trip with Gate1 and we are excited to see Turkey!  Also would like to hear from anyone who has taken this trip - what was your favorite place to see?[/justify]
janice
Donna Marie  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Donna Marie

took that trip almost 2 years ago.  Great trip!  Be sure to take the balloon ride and while you are in Istanbul a couple days early, be sure to go to the Ithikial street area (if I remember name correctly) it is a great area and lots of shops, and fun, vibrant area.  We walked for hours. Not sure where you are staying so if you are opposite side of this area like I was, we just took a taxi, however, I think we ended up walking so much, we walked back to hotel.    Try all the great foods and sign up for everything.  If I recall, I did.  Be careful in Antalya relative to swimming in ocean: my hotel was such that you had to walk down to the water and there was a cement dock and water was really deep and rough at times. My travel buddy jumped in and almost drowned and got tossed against the dock! If your hotel is across from a beach - then easier to walk in!  That is only warning.  I really enjoyed my time at this resort in Antalya.

It is a wonderful trip and I would do it again.  Enjoy
Upcoming
15 Day Spain (9/2017)
Completed Thus far with Gate 1...
15 Day Vietnam and Cambodia
10 Day Serengeti and Beyond: African Safari in Tanzania
15 Day Moroccan Allure
14 Day Israel and Jordan
15 Day Croatia Bosnia Slovenia and Venice
15 Day Turkish Treasures
9 Day Affordable Ireland
17 Day Peru and Ecuador
16 Day Classic Thailand with Phuket
11 Day Egypt with Abu Simbel and 3 Day Lake Nasser Cruise
10 Day Greek Islander Mykonos Santorini Athens
12 Day Enchanting Italy
9 Day Israel
Mary F  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Mary F

Great idea to get there a day early-- it is a long trip from SFO, and it is smart to have some time to acclimate. We stayed at the Ottoman Legacy Hotel, and found we could walk most everywhere. We went to the archeology museum ( which is not on the tour) and got a good overview of what Turkey has to offer.  We could have used more time at the Topkapi Palace on the tour, and wished we had spent some time there on our own with our extra day. It is a very busy trip, and we did every optional tour. It was wonderful!
I agree, for nightlife, hit up the Istiklal(sp?) area across the Galata bridge. Some of the younger people in our group partied the night away there and had a great time. Don't know how they did it! We were pretty tired from the daily grind, but did have a great time. The balloon ride was a highlight, too.
We are also from the Bay Area, and would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have.
Mary 
15-day Kaleidoscope of Spain
Sept 2013
13-day Turkish Treasures, Sept 2014
17-day Ecuador and Peru, Aug 2015
18-day Kaleidoscope of South Africa, Sept 2016
Italy and Sicily, April 2017
Israel and Jordan, October 2017
Annual spring trip to Akumal, Mexico