Community Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post
laddie  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2014 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
laddie

would appreciate any comments or suggestions for the cruise; anyone traveling on this trip; anyone from jfk; thanks, laddie; sorry 9/26/14
Nina  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Nina

I took this wonderful tour in Sept 2012.  It is truly a cultural immersion. My trip was the last of the season and the ship was not at full capacity (nice!).  We shared the ship with tour groups from Norway, Brazil and Mexico.  It was easy to socialize with others - people were very well travelled and there were fun things to do on board.  The local hospitality was genuine.  My cabin was very small and without a safe to store valuables.  Many worried about the design of the cabin bathrooms - but it was fine.  

I thought breakfast was very good and enjoyed that it had some of the local foods in the buffet.  Not a lot of choice for lunch and dinner and often we weren't sure what the food was, but it was mostly fine. There were a lot of creamy sauces and it took a few efforts to get meatless meals.  I brought little coffee creamers with me - i remember being glad I did.  Bring any medicines you think you might need. "Doctor" onboard didn't speak English and some passengers were disappointed with services/ medicines dispensed.  

Loved the optional excursion to the palaces in St. Pete.  Many took the train back into town on their free day (said it was easy with the instructions provided).  If I did that I would have returned to the Hermitage museum!

Gate 1 Tour Manger went over and beyond - when some of us were disappointed because the monastery optional tour in Moscow was cancelled due to lack of reservations, he found us a guide and car to get us there.  

We were lucky to catch a spectacular laser light show in Red Square at the Moskow at the night optional tour.  It was a wow. 

You might know this, but make sure any money you bring is pristine.  If it is torn, has pen marks on it, it will not be accepted for exchange.  I used an ATM at one of the stops on my own and it worked fine. 

Happy to share more about the trip if there is interest.
laddie  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
laddie

many thanks for your nice reply; laddie