Community Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post
kgotcha  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 6, 2016 3:05:50 AM(UTC)
kgotcha

So I just want to start off by saying.... DON'T EVER BOOK ANY GATE 1 TRAVEL DEALS ON GROUPON. There's always a reason why these deals are so cheap, you get what you pay for. In july, I came across an awesome deal for 7 days/5 nights in Dubai. As a world travel connoisseur, you can imagine I was quite intrigued and eager to book the trip. I purchased the Groupon deal and called Gate 1 to redeem my vouchers. The guy who helped book my trip told me that I wouldn't get direct flights with this package, I wasn't happy about it, but figured I had to make some kind of sacrifice for price. He then went on to tell me that my layovers in between flights would be at most 1-2 hrs each way, I began to think, OK this won't be too bad. Well...what happened next was not what I expected. I received emails from Gate 1 about schedule changes and didn't notice then until months later, I thought they may have just been errors or a glitch in their system. Being as the person I booked the trip with didn't mention any of this and this was my first time booking with this company. Now, here I am a few days away from traveling, I printed out my travel documents and to my surprise. ..I have an 8 hr layover in between my flights going to Dubai. I'm set to leave NY at 1025am on Tuesday and won't arrive in Dubai until 640pm on Wednesday, that's a day and a half of being in an airport and on a plane..this is CRAZY! !!! I immediately, called the travel agency (Gate 1), they told me they sent me 9 emails about schedule changes and the 9th one I approved. First of all, I don't recall them sending that many emails. If I received 3, that was a lot. Secondly, I would have NEVER approved an 8hr layover. Seriously, who would??? So at this point Trish the travel agent told me there's nothing they can do, my flights are non-refundable, so if I change my flight, that's more money out of my pocket. UNBELIEVABLE! I told her, that's great, because at this point, I would NEVER use this company to book any future travel arrangements, nor would I EVER use Groupon to purchase a vacation. Vacationers beware!!! If it sounds to good to be true, that's because it is.
LuvToTravelWorld  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 6, 2016 12:57:19 PM(UTC)
LuvToTravelWorld

that's bad. I did the G1 Dubai trip I had a direct flight on Emerites with no problems, but I did not do groupon. I would never let air travel up to someone else, for that very reason.
Sharon ~ Florida, USA
LuvToTravelWorld
https://youpic.com/LuvToTravelWorld

Next: Vietnam&Cambodia 2017, Russian Cruise 8/17, Baltics 8/2017
Done (and rated): 
17 day Discovery China&Tibet 10/16 3 1/2*
Ethiopia, on own, & 10 day Tanzania 6/16 5*

10 day Copper Canyon and Mexico 12/15, 3 1/2*
11 day Guatemala/Honduras 1/2015, 4*
14 day Greece 9/2014, 3* 
7 day Dubai 2013 11/2013, 4* with
15 day Thailand, Angkor Wat, Cambodia 11/2013, 5*
11 day Ecuador and Amazon 5/2013, 4*
10 day Costa Rica w/ Tortuguero, 11/2009, 4*, & 2/2013, 3*
10 day Affordable Peru, 5/2012, 5*
15 day France, 9/2012, 3 1/2*
15 day Turkey , 9/2011, 5* 
15 day Egypt/Nile Cruise, 2/2009, 4*
Globus trips..... Scotland Highlands, Norway, U.K., Ireland, Alpine Countries, Italia, Spain, Morocco, Portugal
 Independently toured South America- Chile, Argentina, Iquazu
gotta travel  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2016 1:04:41 AM(UTC)
gotta travel

Not a great way to start a trip. Have never used Groupon so its good to know that the flight reservations work differently than dealing direct with G1. Hope at least the layover is some place where you can get out of the airport and see something.
Mary F  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2016 4:24:37 AM(UTC)
Mary F

Seriously, Kgotcha? Gate 1 sent you NINE emails informing you of changes, which you ignored, and now it is their fault that you are dissatisfied? That seems pretty ridiculous to me. Doesn't seem fair to heap all the blame at the company's feet.
While I agree that an 8-hour layover would be gruesome, maybe it is long enough to go out and see some sights, as Gotta Travel suggested. Time to make lemonade with the lemons you've harvested I guess.
Since Dubai is 9 hours ahead of NY time, you will only be traveling about 24 hours. Not as bad as a day and a half, anyway.
Mary 
15-day Kaleidoscope of Spain
Sept 2013
13-day Turkish Treasures, Sept 2014
17-day Ecuador and Peru, Aug 2015
18-day Kaleidoscope of South Africa, Sept 2016
Italy and Sicily, April 2017
Israel and Jordan, October 2017
Annual spring trip to Akumal, Mexico
Dawnarama  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 12:27:56 AM(UTC)
Dawnarama

Originally Posted by: kgotcha Go to Quoted Post
So I just want to start off by saying.... DON'T EVER BOOK ANY GATE 1 TRAVEL DEALS ON GROUPON. There's always a reason why these deals are so cheap, you get what you pay for. In july, I came across an awesome deal for 7 days/5 nights in Dubai. As a world travel connoisseur, you can imagine I was quite intrigued and eager to book the trip. I purchased the Groupon deal and called Gate 1 to redeem my vouchers. The guy who helped book my trip told me that I wouldn't get direct flights with this package, I wasn't happy about it, but figured I had to make some kind of sacrifice for price. He then went on to tell me that my layovers in between flights would be at most 1-2 hrs each way, I began to think, OK this won't be too bad. Well...what happened next was not what I expected. I received emails from Gate 1 about schedule changes and didn't notice then until months later, I thought they may have just been errors or a glitch in their system. Being as the person I booked the trip with didn't mention any of this and this was my first time booking with this company. Now, here I am a few days away from traveling, I printed out my travel documents and to my surprise. ..I have an 8 hr layover in between my flights going to Dubai. I'm set to leave NY at 1025am on Tuesday and won't arrive in Dubai until 640pm on Wednesday, that's a day and a half of being in an airport and on a plane..this is CRAZY! !!! I immediately, called the travel agency (Gate 1), they told me they sent me 9 emails about schedule changes and the 9th one I approved. First of all, I don't recall them sending that many emails. If I received 3, that was a lot. Secondly, I would have NEVER approved an 8hr layover. Seriously, who would??? So at this point Trish the travel agent told me there's nothing they can do, my flights are non-refundable, so if I change my flight, that's more money out of my pocket. UNBELIEVABLE! I told her, that's great, because at this point, I would NEVER use this company to book any future travel arrangements, nor would I EVER use Groupon to purchase a vacation. Vacationers beware!!! If it sounds to good to be true, that's because it is.

10 Day Affordable Peru 10/18/2015
12 Day Kaleidescope of India 01/26/2016
14 Day Discovery China & Tibet 04/18/2016
Dawnarama  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 12:37:38 AM(UTC)
Dawnarama

KGothcha,

My first experience with Gate1 was on a Groupon to Peru. I didn't get to choose our flights but it was an awesome trip and ridiculously inexpensive for what we got. It was was so awesome I booked three more trips and just rturned from a amazing experience in India with Gate1.

Several things:

Gate1 does not control the airline schedules

Gate1 held their end by notifying you 9 times about the flight change which you chose to ignore

When you by a Groupon Getaway you have time to get a refund if, when you call the travel company to make your reservations, you cant get what you want

Bottom line is you have some responsibility here and would have had opportunity to possibly get an alternate flight had you acted with some urgency when first notified.

I write this because I'd hate to see someone else miss out on a great vacation just based upon your review.

10 Day Affordable Peru 10/18/2015
12 Day Kaleidescope of India 01/26/2016
14 Day Discovery China & Tibet 04/18/2016
JaneFoulks  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2016 3:32:15 PM(UTC)
JaneFoulks

My first Gate 1 trip was Affordable Morocco and I purchased it on Groupon. When I redeemed the voucher the agent was very helpful and upfront about the flights. He encouraged me to pay the extra $105 for a nonstop flight. I'm glad I did it was money well spent. I have since taken a second Gate 1 trip and it was as good as the first.

I am going on the Affordable Morocco trip on Nov. 8.  Would love to meet some of my tour mates!
Bob  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2016 11:22:14 PM(UTC)
Bob

I fully agree with "Dawnarama". We have just returned from our 6th GATE-1 tour and the last two (2) tours had the flight schedules changed by the airline and not by GATE-1. In both cases our scheduled flights had been dropped from our selected airport. In our case it meant an 11 hour layover in the Newark airport for the one flight. I also called GATE-1 about the schedule change and was told it would cost $200 each for GATE-1 to change the flights.

But instead of "shooting the messenger (GATE-1) because you don't like the message", I called the airline (UNITED) and explained the impact of the schedule change and that I wasn't given any option(s) on selecting a new flight. Within a few minutes I was booked on a new flight, at no charge and given a $150 travel credit for the prior schedule change. I then notified GATE-1 of my new flight schedule and they (GATE-1) updated my travel documents to reflect the changes.

Instead of using Groupon I use GATE-1's "Weekly Deals" to get discounts and still have options on selecting flights and when to schedule the tour.

DJKuulA  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2018 8:35:05 PM(UTC)
DJKuulA

Two quick comments, based on my one booking with Gate1:

1) I looked at Groupon deals and the Gate1 weekly email deals. The deal I used, through a Gate1 email, was as good or better than any of the Groupon deals that I saw. (Noting that the email deal I booked was better than most -- it was 50% off the second person's land price.) Keep in mind that the advertised prices on Groupon are for the cheapest possible date. The price you actually pay is likely to be more, sometimes a lot more, depending on when you go.

2) I spent a fair amount of time checking out air prices (in our case, from Florida to Italy), and there was very little difference between booking myself and just including the air in my Gate1 booking. I might've been able to save a few bucks booking on my own, but it wouldn't have been much (especially considering the cost of airport transfers). I felt like booking through Gate1 might avoid potential issues with flight changes that I'd have to deal with on my own. Hopefully there won't be any major changes to our flights. . .

denisvasiliev7  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 5:49:41 PM(UTC)
denisvasiliev7

Hello travelers! We plan in August to go on a trip to USA. And as always, it does not do without "but". We assume that huddling in the 5th in one car may not be comfortable and along the way we will use the rental of an additional car. I studied the forums and faced a situation where people had problems with renting a car in USA. As far as is known, some companies are denied a lease with a Russian-style driver's license for the lack of information about the driver in case of a state of emergency. I rummaged through the Internet, I found quite a lot of offers of services for the "translation of a driver's license or an issue of international standard." I would like to clarify this issue in more detail. At the moment, the choice fell on the company https://iaalicense.com - I would like to know, maybe someone used their services? Or owns in more detail in general this issue? The price tag is not great, for safety I will turn to them, I will write by the results, but I would also like to hear experienced travelers. What do you think?</p>

denisvasiliev7  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 5:56:35 PM(UTC)
denisvasiliev7

Hello travelers! We plan in August to go on a trip to USA. And as always, it does not do without "but". We assume that huddling in the 5th in one car may not be comfortable and along the way we will use the rental of an additional car. I studied the forums and faced a situation where people had problems with renting a car in USA. As far as is known, some companies are denied a lease with a Russian-style driver's license for the lack of information about the driver in case of a state of emergency. I rummaged through the Internet, I found quite a lot of offers of services for the "translation of a driver's license or an issue of international standard." I would like to clarify this issue in more detail. At the moment, the choice fell on the company https://iaalicense.com - I would like to know, maybe someone used their services? Or owns in more detail in general this issue? The price tag is not great, for safety I will turn to them, I will write by the results, but I would also like to hear experienced travelers. What do you think?</p>