Community Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post
Ken  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Ken

Hi,

I'm considering going on the Jordan tour.  They have an optional meal plan - 6 meals for $205.  This breaks down to about $35/meal, without drinks.  This seems awful pricey.  Do the hotels have better eating options nearby (even a local market or grocery store), or do the hotel restaurants themselves have cheaper meals? 

Any suggestions for stuff to do in the evenings after touring is done?
Donna Marie  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Donna Marie

I just returned from the Jordan trip. It was recommended to me not to take the dinner package so I did not.  I don't particularly like buffets and you get enough of them included.  So, I would say don't take it.  You can always buy it while there if you want it after you view what they have to offer.  The Amman Jordan had amazing breakfast; if the dinner was anything like the breakfast, likely very good.  However, they have some nice restaurants there or you can go off the property and go to another recommended restaurant (check out Trip Advisory).  The only "included" package dinner I did buy that was part of that package was the Dead Sea Marriot - it looked really good and and was good. I was going to the steak restaurant, but to be social with my fellow group members, I sat with them to eat.  the Italian restaurant at that restaurant is good too.

The Petra Marriott had pesto pasta that I ordered both nights.  You could always get the pizza or go and see what is in the buffet.  I didn't love their breakfasts so not sure about the dinner.  Don't get lamb at the restaurant - overcooked!

So, don't take the package and just wait and see what you want to eat.  Pay as you go!

It's a fantastic trip and fantastic hotels.  The included lunch with the Bedouin folks at Wadi Rum is delicious if you like lamb. They have chicken and vegetables as well.
Upcoming
15 Day Spain (9/2017)
Completed Thus far with Gate 1...
15 Day Vietnam and Cambodia
10 Day Serengeti and Beyond: African Safari in Tanzania
15 Day Moroccan Allure
14 Day Israel and Jordan
15 Day Croatia Bosnia Slovenia and Venice
15 Day Turkish Treasures
9 Day Affordable Ireland
17 Day Peru and Ecuador
16 Day Classic Thailand with Phuket
11 Day Egypt with Abu Simbel and 3 Day Lake Nasser Cruise
10 Day Greek Islander Mykonos Santorini Athens
12 Day Enchanting Italy
9 Day Israel
Ken  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Ken

Just bumping this :)

Anybody else on the Dec. 7th departure?  Any suggestions from people that have been to Jordan previously for free time or stuff not to miss that's on the itinerary?

Also, much of a hassle is getting the visa on arrival?  It wasn't tough in Turkey, is it pretty much the same thing -- get in the queue, give them the bribe or fee or whatever the call it, and they put a sticker in the passport?  Then onto the normal customs routine?

Thanks!
littlera  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
littlera

Ken, you will wait until the border to process yourself into Jordan. You will NOT have to pay a visa fee, as all Gate 1 Jordan tours meet the requirements for free visa.  The requirement is 5 or more travelers in a group, you are visiting Petra and /or other specific sites, and you stay overnight in Jordan at least two nights.  I did not have to pay, and I think Donna in the post above who was there in May did not have to pay.  We were there in May of last year.
Randy and Deanie
Up next:
14 Day Treasures of Sri Lanka. 3/21
14 day Classic South Africa with Victoria Falls 11/20
12 day Kaleidiscope of Scotland 7/20; rebooked 7/21
Been there, done that:
11 day Classic Colombia 3/20
14 day Majestic Balkans 5/19
16 Day Spiritual Southern India 11/18
14 Day Holland. Germany,Luxembourg & Belgium with Paris. 5/18
15 Day Indonesia: Java & Bali 10/17
13 Day Classic Costa Rica with Tortuguero and Manuel Antonio 2/17
18 Day Nepal & Bhutan 9/16
13 Day Kasbahs and Deserts of Morocco 5/16
15 Day Classic India with Ranthambore 11/15
11 Day Classic Baltics 6/15
11 Day Kaleidoscope of Guatemala and Honduras 1/15
13 Day Kaleidoscope of Ireland 9/14
14 Day Israel and Jordan - 5/14
15 Day Kaleidoscope of Thailand with River Kwai 11/13
16 Day China with Tibet and 3 Day Yangtze River Cruise  5/13
8 Day Classic Ecuador and Amazon Adventure 10/12
13 Day Turkish Treasures 5/12
10 Day Affordable  Peru  10/11
16 Day Affordable Bangkok, Cambodia and Vietnam 10/10
15 Day India's Majesty with Nepal  10/08
10 Day Greece with cruise 3/04
Ken  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Ken

Thanks for the info.  Since I'm flying in on my own, I wasn't sure if that would qualify for the free visa, good to know.