Community Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post
DeeDee  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
DeeDee

Just a word of caution if you decide to make a purchase from Ferro & Lazzarini Glass Factory.  This is the business we were taken to in order to watch a glass blowing demonstration and browse through their beautiful showroom.  My son and daughter-in-law (newlyweds) were on the trip with me and they purchased a wine set with the mirrored plate it is placed on and 6 small vases.  They paid a lot of money for these things and were told it included everything as far as Italian taxes, shipping, handling.  There was a placard on a table in the showroom that said UE Customers will be responsible for any customs fees or other fees not included in the sales price.  The kids had NO IDEA it would be $180 more until the day before Christmas (they bought it on November 27th) when the shipping agent DHL called them and said the $180 must be paid before it would be shipped.  It was still in Italy.  They had been told it would be there in time for Christmas.  Needless to say they were very disappointed.  I just hope when it finally gets to them nothing is broken because it will just be another huge expense to return it and have a replacement sent back to them.  JUST BE AWARE OF THIS ADDITIONAL FEE.  There are times on this 8-DAY AFFORDABLE ITALY tour that you feel very rushed because the boats and bus has to leave at certain times to make the next thing you are supposed to visit.  I think this is the main reason the kids didn't see this placard on the table in the showroom.  They sure didn't want that monetary surprise right at Christmas time.  I am not bad mouthing the glass company.  Just wanting everyone to be aware.
My son and his wife and I are SO looking forward to this trip to Italy.  I have been to Europe when I was in high school but that was many moons ago.  I am more mature now and can appreciate all the history.  Cant wait to meet all those coming on this tour with us.  Donna
GoldenLily  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
GoldenLily

Thank you for the information!  We are going to Italy in June and were planning on perhaps having some purchases shipped back home.  Will have to remember to ask all the right questions about shipping/customs fees.
Ron & Connie
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
littlera  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
littlera

The last time we were in Venice we bought a glass bowl and had them ship it home.  Seems like it was about $200, which may be under the threshold for duty.  You are allowed a certain amount duty free - I forget, $500 per person?  This may apply to what you carry back with you, not ship.  We also bought an item for over $1000 in China and had it shipped home, and this did not cause any duty to be charged to us.  I am no expert in this area.
Randy and Deanie
Up next:
14 Day Treasures of Sri Lanka. 3/21
14 day Classic South Africa with Victoria Falls 11/20
12 day Kaleidiscope of Scotland 7/20; rebooked 7/21
Been there, done that:
11 day Classic Colombia 3/30
14 day Majestic Balkans 5/19
16 Day Spiritual Southern India 11/18
14 Day Holland. Germany,Luxembourg & Belgium with Paris. 5/18
15 Day Indonesia: Java & Bali 10/17
13 Day Classic Costa Rica with Tortuguero and Manuel Antonio 2/17
18 Day Nepal & Bhutan 9/16
13 Day Kasbahs and Deserts of Morocco 5/16
15 Day Classic India with Ranthambore 11/15
11 Day Classic Baltics 6/15
11 Day Kaleidoscope of Guatemala and Honduras 1/15
13 Day Kaleidoscope of Ireland 9/14
14 Day Israel and Jordan - 5/14
15 Day Kaleidoscope of Thailand with River Kwai 11/13
16 Day China with Tibet and 3 Day Yangtze River Cruise  5/13
8 Day Classic Ecuador and Amazon Adventure 10/12
13 Day Turkish Treasures 5/12
10 Day Affordable  Peru  10/11
16 Day Affordable Bangkok, Cambodia and Vietnam 10/10
15 Day India's Majesty with Nepal  10/08
10 Day Greece with cruise 3/04
Donna Marie  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 8, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Donna Marie

Yes, when I was in Murano back in 2004 I bought a wine decanter and glasses and I paid there price which included shipping and everything.  I cannot remember the order if I got the purchase before or after - but I did have to pay some sort of customs fee.  I want to say my purchase was around $380 or $480 - can't remember.  Luckily it arrived not broken...

Hope your kids' items arrived ok DeeDee.
Upcoming
15 Day Spain (9/2017)
Completed Thus far with Gate 1...
15 Day Vietnam and Cambodia
10 Day Serengeti and Beyond: African Safari in Tanzania
15 Day Moroccan Allure
14 Day Israel and Jordan
15 Day Croatia Bosnia Slovenia and Venice
15 Day Turkish Treasures
9 Day Affordable Ireland
17 Day Peru and Ecuador
16 Day Classic Thailand with Phuket
11 Day Egypt with Abu Simbel and 3 Day Lake Nasser Cruise
10 Day Greek Islander Mykonos Santorini Athens
12 Day Enchanting Italy
9 Day Israel
travelbaba  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 7:31:41 AM(UTC)
travelbaba

Online Murano Glass shops are many. I personally like MadeMuranoGlass

jannsegal  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2019 12:00:12 AM(UTC)
jannsegal

FYI from post above... ifs $800 duty free...