Community Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post
Mitz  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2014 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Mitz

My husband and I are first time traveller to Europe.  This package include airfare, hotel and some meals.  I wanted to get information on transportation from airport to hotel and vice versa.  I checked on adding transfer packages and the cost is very expensive.  I also checked on shuttle and taxi service but I am not sure if there is transportation service to/from London City Airport and Paris Orly Airport.  I appreciate any feedbakc from those who have gone to these places.

Also, I am looking into booking the Majestic London Tour.  Let me know what you think of this or if there are options I should look into. 

Any response from those who have done this trip is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
gotta travel  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2014 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
gotta travel

Mitz, my advice for London is to purchase an Oyster Card (transport card that you can purchase when you arrive or purchase before hand (though I'm not sure you'll have time to do that prior to Thanksgiving).  You purchase the card, put money on it and swipe it for bus or tube (underground) use.  

Paste this into your web browser and it should take you to the London Transport official website (or google Oyster Card).  

https://account.tfl.gov....uk/oyster/security_check

There's also some info on the site as to how to turn in your card(s) to get a refund for any money left when you depart.  You'll get the hang of this quite easily and it really is the best way to get around London.  

It definitely is cheaper than the G1 transfers who admit their rates are high as they have to pay round trip prices to their vendors.  

Sorry, haven't been to Paris for a long time so don't feel comfortable providing advice on that.  The public transport system in Europe is way better than what we have in most places in the States and very reasonable.  

Enjoy your trip.  There's a ton to see and do in both cities and, if you haven't done so already, check out the travel boards on TripAdvisor for ideas and suggestions.
LuvToTravelWorld  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
LuvToTravelWorld

On Paris, see if there is an RER or subway stop at Orly Airport, I have never flown in there only DeGaule. I have taken a taxi tho, and it is quite expensive, could be 60 euro or more, now.  Look on Viator for a shuttle service, also your hotel may offer one, contact them.  Metro service in Paris is superb.  Love Paris.  Lived there for 6 years.
Sharon ~ Florida, USA
LuvToTravelWorld
https://youpic.com/LuvToTravelWorld

Next: Vietnam&Cambodia 2017, Russian Cruise 8/17, Baltics 8/2017
Done (and rated): 
17 day Discovery China&Tibet 10/16 3 1/2*
Ethiopia, on own, & 10 day Tanzania 6/16 5*

10 day Copper Canyon and Mexico 12/15, 3 1/2*
11 day Guatemala/Honduras 1/2015, 4*
14 day Greece 9/2014, 3* 
7 day Dubai 2013 11/2013, 4* with
15 day Thailand, Angkor Wat, Cambodia 11/2013, 5*
11 day Ecuador and Amazon 5/2013, 4*
10 day Costa Rica w/ Tortuguero, 11/2009, 4*, & 2/2013, 3*
10 day Affordable Peru, 5/2012, 5*
15 day France, 9/2012, 3 1/2*
15 day Turkey , 9/2011, 5* 
15 day Egypt/Nile Cruise, 2/2009, 4*
Globus trips..... Scotland Highlands, Norway, U.K., Ireland, Alpine Countries, Italia, Spain, Morocco, Portugal
 Independently toured South America- Chile, Argentina, Iquazu
Mitz  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Mitz

Thank you Gotta Travel!

I am still debating whether to book optional tours or not.  I am looking at booking the Full Day Majestic London $140pp & Full Day Windsor Castle $142pp.  Is it worth the price to take the optional tours? What do you think?  Will we have eniough time to see all the sights on our own and do all the activities in 2.5 days considering this is is our first time there?
LuvToTravelWorld  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2014 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
LuvToTravelWorld

yes, book the optionals, the cost of living is higher there due to being on the pound so that is why so expensive.  I totally enjoyed London and the places you see are the highlight of any trip there.  Using the bus to get you there and back and having guided tours is really worth it, do try to get to the Eye.  In the evening we took a taxi there and there was no line and the lights over the city were great.  My tour offered a theater night and we took that and saw the Lion King, that was fun.  London is a great city.  Clean, easy, expensive.  Dont forget to get to the British Museum!!!!!!!!

The Eye can be booked on line, check that price out before you use the tour.
Do the Moulin Rouge instead of the other show in Paris.  I can tell you how to do Versailles on your own and save big $$
Sharon ~ Florida, USA
LuvToTravelWorld
https://youpic.com/LuvToTravelWorld

Next: Vietnam&Cambodia 2017, Russian Cruise 8/17, Baltics 8/2017
Done (and rated): 
17 day Discovery China&Tibet 10/16 3 1/2*
Ethiopia, on own, & 10 day Tanzania 6/16 5*

10 day Copper Canyon and Mexico 12/15, 3 1/2*
11 day Guatemala/Honduras 1/2015, 4*
14 day Greece 9/2014, 3* 
7 day Dubai 2013 11/2013, 4* with
15 day Thailand, Angkor Wat, Cambodia 11/2013, 5*
11 day Ecuador and Amazon 5/2013, 4*
10 day Costa Rica w/ Tortuguero, 11/2009, 4*, & 2/2013, 3*
10 day Affordable Peru, 5/2012, 5*
15 day France, 9/2012, 3 1/2*
15 day Turkey , 9/2011, 5* 
15 day Egypt/Nile Cruise, 2/2009, 4*
Globus trips..... Scotland Highlands, Norway, U.K., Ireland, Alpine Countries, Italia, Spain, Morocco, Portugal
 Independently toured South America- Chile, Argentina, Iquazu
gotta travel  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 7, 2014 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
gotta travel

Hi Mitz. Sorry just now responding (we just returned from an independent trip to Bavaria).  For me, optional tours  depend on two things:  1.  your comfort level for self-travel/research/arrangement; and 2.  cost of course.   Windsor Castle is fairly easy to get to (we took the train) and you can walk to the castle from the train stop easily. It took up the greater part of the day when you add in lunch and hanging out in Windsor some.  Truly worth allocating the time to.  I think the optional price you quoted is a bit high if per person. Tickets are currently quoted as about 18 pounds per adult.  Train ticket best I recall was fairly inexpensive. So I take most of the money is going to a tour guide.  If you feel that's important spend the money. Believe you can rent an audio tour thing there.  I know Viator has some packaged tours that run about half that price. While I haven't used them, a friend has with no issues.

Not promoting one over the other. In the end, it comes down to feeling comfortable.