Community Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post
Nlowe  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 3:06:02 PM(UTC)
Nlowe

I would like to hear if anyone has recently traveled to Turkey. I am going on the 13 day affordable tour and I am having safety concerns. Please advise.
LuvToTravelWorld  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 10:44:24 PM(UTC)
LuvToTravelWorld

I think it's one of those places you just have to go, it's magnificent. Be alert.
Sharon ~ Florida, USA
LuvToTravelWorld
https://youpic.com/LuvToTravelWorld

Next: Vietnam&Cambodia 2017, Russian Cruise 8/17, Baltics 8/2017
Done (and rated): 
17 day Discovery China&Tibet 10/16 3 1/2*
Ethiopia, on own, & 10 day Tanzania 6/16 5*

10 day Copper Canyon and Mexico 12/15, 3 1/2*
11 day Guatemala/Honduras 1/2015, 4*
14 day Greece 9/2014, 3* 
7 day Dubai 2013 11/2013, 4* with
15 day Thailand, Angkor Wat, Cambodia 11/2013, 5*
11 day Ecuador and Amazon 5/2013, 4*
10 day Costa Rica w/ Tortuguero, 11/2009, 4*, & 2/2013, 3*
10 day Affordable Peru, 5/2012, 5*
15 day France, 9/2012, 3 1/2*
15 day Turkey , 9/2011, 5* 
15 day Egypt/Nile Cruise, 2/2009, 4*
Globus trips..... Scotland Highlands, Norway, U.K., Ireland, Alpine Countries, Italia, Spain, Morocco, Portugal
 Independently toured South America- Chile, Argentina, Iquazu
littlera  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 11:08:47 PM(UTC)
littlera

The State Dept. warnings mostly refer to the southeast part of the country, where you will not be going. Having said that. there was a bombing at the Egyption obelisk near the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, a place we went to. There was a bomb last year in Ankara too.

If it was me, I would go. You must take an honest assessment of your tolerance for risk and act accordingly. Nobody wants to take unreasonable risks, but there is risk everyday in almost everything you do. Gate 1 is in Turkey everyday and so far as I know there has never been a client injured.

During the ebola outbreak one family cancelled their Morocco trip, losing lots of $$$. There was never ebola within 1000 miles of Morocco, while there were a few cases imported to the USA. They would have been safer in Morocco! That is an example of gross and unreasonable over reaction.

Randy and Deanie
Up next:
14 Day Treasures of Sri Lanka. 3/21
14 day Classic South Africa with Victoria Falls 11/20
12 day Kaleidiscope of Scotland 7/20; rebooked 7/21
Been there, done that:
11 day Classic Colombia 3/20
14 day Majestic Balkans 5/19
16 Day Spiritual Southern India 11/18
14 Day Holland. Germany,Luxembourg & Belgium with Paris. 5/18
15 Day Indonesia: Java & Bali 10/17
13 Day Classic Costa Rica with Tortuguero and Manuel Antonio 2/17
18 Day Nepal & Bhutan 9/16
13 Day Kasbahs and Deserts of Morocco 5/16
15 Day Classic India with Ranthambore 11/15
11 Day Classic Baltics 6/15
11 Day Kaleidoscope of Guatemala and Honduras 1/15
13 Day Kaleidoscope of Ireland 9/14
14 Day Israel and Jordan - 5/14
15 Day Kaleidoscope of Thailand with River Kwai 11/13
16 Day China with Tibet and 3 Day Yangtze River Cruise  5/13
8 Day Classic Ecuador and Amazon Adventure 10/12
13 Day Turkish Treasures 5/12
10 Day Affordable  Peru  10/11
16 Day Affordable Bangkok, Cambodia and Vietnam 10/10
15 Day India's Majesty with Nepal  10/08
10 Day Greece with cruise 3/04
Prozac  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2016 3:21:18 PM(UTC)
Prozac

(Just an FYI to the OP: "Community Forum Guidelines" is probably not the appropriate section for your post. "News and General Information" or "Mediterranean" may have been better sections.)

My wife and I just returned from the "13 Day Affordable Turkey" tour earlier this week; we took the trip on Feb 4-16. I had booked the tour prior to the Istanbul bombing. After the incident, I gave some thought to our situation, but I never considered cancelling the tour.

We had a great time on the trip. There were 19 people in our tour group. We did almost everything together as a group; almost everyone went on all the optional tours. I never had any apprehensions about safety while there. In Istanbul, there appeared to be an increased security presence throughout, such as at the Grand Bazaar and Spice Bazaar, where guards at the entrances would scan people randomly as they entered the bazaar.

In Ankara, I don't believe we went anywhere near the area where the bombing occured a few days ago, near the military site.

As Randy (littlera) wrote, only you can evaluate your tolerance to travel risk. The part of Turkey that is undergoing continual unrest, and therefore high risk, is the southeast area near the border with Syria. Although Turkey overall is experiencing greater instability due to their moderate and secular status among Muslim countries, personally I didn't feel any less safe there than I would in many other countries, including the U.S.

If you decide to complete the trip, I hope you have a great time. Our only big disappointment was that our Cappadocia balloon ride had to be cancelled (on 2 straight days).

Edited by user Saturday, February 20, 2016 3:21:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

denisvasiliev7  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 28, 2019 5:43:21 PM(UTC)
denisvasiliev7

<br data-cke-eol="1"><p>Hello travelers! We plan in August to go on a trip to USA. And as always, it does not do without "but". We assume that huddling in the 5th in one car may not be comfortable and along the way we will use the rental of an additional car. I studied the forums and faced a situation where people had problems with renting a car in USA. As far as is known, some companies are denied a lease with a Russian-style driver's license for the lack of information about the driver in case of a state of emergency. I rummaged through the Internet, I found quite a lot of offers of services for the "translation of a driver's license or an issue of international standard." I would like to clarify this issue in more detail. At the moment, the choice fell on the company https://iaalicense.com - I would like to know, maybe someone used their services? Or owns in more detail in general this issue? The price tag is not great, for safety I will turn to them, I will write by the results, but I would also like to hear experienced travelers. What do you think?</p>