Community Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post
Karen651  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 2:23:43 PM(UTC)
Karen651

I've never taken a trip like this before, with a tour, where you stop in different places and change hotels several times, and I've never been to Peru. So ... any advice on how to pack when you are bouncing from hotel to hotel every 2 days? Do you just take advantage of laundry services at the hotels you stop at to avoid overpacking?

littlera  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 4:46:51 PM(UTC)
littlera

I can easily pack enough for a trip twice as long and not go over 40 pounds. I never do laundry on tour. Pack a warm jacket for evenings in Puno and Cuzco, where it can get to freezing overnight. Chilly evenings. Little chance of rain in June. Highs in low 60 most places you go and maybe 70 in Lima. Using packing cubes helps keep things in order and makes hotel moves easier. Roll clothing. Be prepared to dress in layers.

Advise using altitude meds. Diamox or its generic Acetazolamide - doctor to prescribe. Test BEFORE you go to be sure you can tolrate dosage prescribed. Many get altitude sickness on this tour. Try to make sure you don't. It is possible to get some ill effects even with meds. The cocoa tea does not help much. Stay hydrated.

Randy and Deanie
Up next:
14 Day Treasures of Sri Lanka. 3/21
14 day Classic South Africa with Victoria Falls 11/20
12 day Kaleidiscope of Scotland 7/20
11 day Classic Colombia 3/20
Been there, done that:
14 day Majestic Balkans 5/19
16 Day Spiritual Southern India 11/18
14 Day Holland. Germany,Luxembourg & Belgium with Paris. 5/18
15 Day Indonesia: Java & Bali 10/17
13 Day Classic Costa Rica with Tortuguero and Manuel Antonio 2/17
18 Day Nepal & Bhutan 9/16
13 Day Kasbahs and Deserts of Morocco 5/16
15 Day Classic India with Ranthambore 11/15
11 Day Classic Baltics 6/15
11 Day Kaleidoscope of Guatemala and Honduras 1/15
13 Day Kaleidoscope of Ireland 9/14
14 Day Israel and Jordan - 5/14
15 Day Kaleidoscope of Thailand with River Kwai 11/13
16 Day China with Tibet and 3 Day Yangtze River Cruise  5/13
8 Day Classic Ecuador and Amazon Adventure 10/12
13 Day Turkish Treasures 5/12
10 Day Affordable  Peru  10/11
16 Day Affordable Bangkok, Cambodia and Vietnam 10/10
15 Day India's Majesty with Nepal  10/08
10 Day Greece with cruise 3/04
gotta travel2  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 3:19:45 AM(UTC)
gotta travel2

When packing keep in mind a few things: 1. Gate 1 is not fancy. No formal nights, no formal clothes needed; 2. You're going to an area where the average wage is fairly low so leave your expenses jewelry, watches, etc at home. You won't need them; 3. In most cases you won't see your fellow travelers again so don't worry about making an impression on how you're dressed. No one is judging. Our standard for packing is as follows and we pack this all in one suitcase (not one apiece, one shared (used to be a back pack until my shoulder started acting up), we each take a day pack that includes one change of underwear with a spare shirt, camera equipment, prescription meds, travel umbrellas and baggies to put them in if wet, windbreaker, hats/gloves, and snacks (don't forget the snacks), converters (don't forget these) and a few zip ties as they come in handy keeping the charger cords nice and neat.

In our suitcase, we bring a pair of pants each (motto is wear one, bring one), as much underwear as we need, socks, two shirts each, knock around sports shorts for hanging around the hotel room, rest of our medicine and toiletries (we take a wide variety of OTC meds (aspirin, cold medications, intestinal meds, etc as we've been caught without in places where English is not widely spoken and having trouble getting what we needed), wife takes an extra pair of shoes (I don't, my waterproof Merrells are all I need), a foldable duffle or gym bag that will become our second piece of luggage for our dirty clothes (freeing up space in the suitcase for souvenirs). I also pack a couple sheets of bubble wrap and a thing of tape should we buy something a bit fragile. And a couple of blank stick on tags to use on the luggage tags (why you ask, good question. Early on in our traveling one of our guides suggested that instead of putting your home address on your luggage tag, put the address of your first stop hotel (and phone number) in case the bag is lost and they have to run you down. Made sense to me so when we start our trip home, I use the blank stick on tags to put our ending address (if it's straight home, I use an address label).

We use large ziplock bags to keep the underwear and socks separated which also makes them easier to pull out when you stop each night at the hotel. You basically live out of the suitcase (another good reason to switch from the backpack as digging down deep was getting a bit tiresome).

Bottom line is don't overpack. Less is best. You'll need your extra hands to carry all those great buys you'll be bringing home.

Karen651  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 3:59:54 PM(UTC)
Karen651

Wow .. these are fantastic tips! Thank you so much! I really like the idea of packing a duffel bag for dirty clothes. I was wondering how to deal with bring things that I buy home. I'm generally a light packer, and not having to dress up is a plus! It's just my 16 year old son and I, and we are each allowed 2 bags but I cannot even remotely imagine needing that much luggage. I was thinking one bag to check and another carryone with a change of clothes and medications should the checked bag get lost.

I appreciate the responses.

littlera  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 4:59:56 PM(UTC)
littlera

You made note of an important point- never check important things like meds. Always keep that in carry on.

Not sure What you mean by allowed 2 bags each. Gate 1 allows 1 large bag per traveler. Their terms and conditions allow them to charge $100 per extra bag. Note airline legal max carryon will not fit overhead on any tour bus, and would have to go in luggage hold, thus incurring fee.

Randy and Deanie
Up next:
Been there, done that:
18 Day Nepal & Bhutan 9/16
13 Day Kasbahs and Deserts of Morocco 5/16
15 Day Classic India with Ranthambore 11/15
11 Day Classic Baltics 6/15
11 Day Kaleidoscope of Guatemala and Honduras 1/15
13 Day Kaleidoscope of Ireland 9/14
14 Day Israel and Jordan - 5/14
15 Day Kaleidoscope of Thailand with River Kwai 11/13
16 Day China with Tibet and 3 Day Yangtze River Cruise  5/13
8 Day Classic Ecuador and Amazon Adventure 10/12
13 Day Turkish Treasures 5/12
10 Day Affordable  Peru  10/11
16 Day Affordable Bangkok, Cambodia and Vietnam 10/10
15 Day India's Majesty with Nepal  10/08
10 Day Greece with cruise 3/04
Karen651  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 7:04:40 PM(UTC)
Karen651

The airline said 2 bags each, so I assumed that is what is was allowed. No worries for me ... I would never imagine taking that much luggage. So with what you are saying, any large suitcase is a bad idea as it won't fit on the bus then? That's ok too. I can make it work.

Karen651  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 7:06:46 PM(UTC)
Karen651

And another question as I appreciate how helpful you are being ... is it a good idea to exchange money at my bank before I go or wait until I get there?

littlera  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 11, 2018 7:40:07 PM(UTC)
littlera

Yes, airlines allow. Gate 1 is trying to get clients to bring only one case each. It can be as big as you want, no restriction there. The reason is the amount of luggage space under the bus.. If everyone brought two, that could be 84 large cases, which would NOT fit, forcing them to hire a luggage truck to follow the bus at great expense. As you said, you can easily do with one. Your carryon can be the size of a smaller backpack, which will fit overhead on the bus.

As far as money goes, if you can get at a good rate at your bank you can order some. Most banks will decrease what you get for the dollar about 7%. Not real good. I usually use ATM which will be a better rate. ATM is in airport, and many places you visit. Bus will stop occasionally at ATM on the way if they are passing one - just ask if you are low. We used ATM IN Peru. I can get Euro and a few other popular currencies at my credit union at no service charge, so usually do that when it works out, like to Europe. You don't want to carry around a lot of money either. I usually get maybe $200 worth local when we visit ATM.

Edited by user Thursday, January 11, 2018 7:42:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Randy and Deanie
Up next:
Been there, done that: